How do I get permission to use somebody else’s work and other subject matters?

You can contact the right owner.

For certain types of works and other subject matter, you can get permission from a collective management organization. Collective management organizations license use of works and other subject matter that are protected by copyright and related rights whenever it is impractical for right owners to act individually.

There are several international non-governmental organizations that link together national collective management organizations.